Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Black eye for VT

I found this piece in the Roanoke Times. It seems that 19 VT football players and other assorted VT students, are living in Section 8 housing. So the football players get a scholarship, receive a housing stipend as part of their scholarship, and still manage to get housing for the needy.

Check out Eric, the person mentioned by name in the article. His apartment has a big screen TV, his mom is a professor at Old Dominion, his dad is a loan officer, and yet he qualifies for needy housing? These guys make money, but send it home. According to Eric, it "doesn't cost him or his roommates anything to live in the apartment."

This could become another black eye for VT.