Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

God's Mind...

I read this post from The Southern Conservative. In it was the following:

"The campaign has been focused almost exclusively on the death penalty for what seems like the past five hundred years... and the problem is, I'm opposed to the death penalty. I'm a Christian, and I can't find a single thing in the teachings of Christ that condones execution as a viable punitive option."

The part that got me thinking was that Jesus never taught about execution, as in capital punishment, therefore, He must be against it. It seems to me that this is a huge leap. Jesus did talk about items we consider important. An extreme example would be cannabalism. Jesus did not discuss that either. We would agree it to be a bad thing. Also, He did not mention cloning.

My point is that silence does not indicate agreement or disagreement. Lastly, Exodus 20:13 states "Thou shall not murder" not "thou shall not kill". There is a difference.

Al