Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Friday, December 16, 2005

Crossing the Street in Blacksburg, VA

You would think college kids would be smart enough to look both ways before crossing the street and they would always cross in a cross walk. But I guess not. So Virginia Tech police must make some changes like "taking parking off one side of the road; increasing the space between crosswalks and parallel parking spaces from one car length to two; expanding the lighting; adding bars within the parallel lines; changing the color scheme to white and green; and putting pedestrian crossing signs in the middle of road."

And a whole department spent time doing an exhaustive analysis of what worked.

When I drive in Blacksburg is seems that people believe they always have the right of way and are indestructable. They do not look before stepping into the street, jay walk, and never, never seem to be in a hurry to get to the other side!

Here's a idea....get out of the road. I'll obey the law and yield at the cross walks. College kids need to obey the law AND use common sense. In a pedestrian/vehicle collosion, the pedestrian will loose every time!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived on Main St. in Blacksburg, across the street from the post office, and I crossed the street every day to get my mail. I was often the only person with the good sense to stand and wait for traffic to thin out before I walked across the street. I'm certain that I only did so thanks to years of annoying UVa students who similarly stroll across C'ville W. Main St. without regard for passing traffic.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home