Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Just Wondering...

When I look at the Diversity page for Virginia Tech, I see programs whose focus is " traditionally underserved populations". Included are studies in Africana, American Indian, Asian, Women, and Judiac.

More interesting is Appalachian Studies. Now here is what I am wondering. I was born, raised, and lived in Applachia most of my life. According to the web site, people from Applachia are an underserved population. Does this make me a minority in Tech's eyes and give me an advantage (hillbilly affirmative action) if I were to apply for a job? My employment would have a positive affect because I would add to the diversity of the university.

If yes, I will gladly help them reach there diversity goals and become part of the university administration.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Roanoke RnR said...

Good luck Al! Let me know how it works out, my son might need to jump on your bandwagon in four years.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Pumps said...

Google "Anita Puckett"...Pumps

11:58 AM  
Blogger John said...

Good luck on that one . . .

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home