Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Fire is our friend...

Most of the time, fire is our friend. We cook and heat with it and it keeps the animals away from our camping sites. However, this is an example of what happens when the fire is too big and too close to the evergreen tree...selective brown-ness.

Between the evergreen trees and a pole barn is my spot for burning the wood and ornamental grasses that I collect through the year. Ornamental grasses are awesome...they burn like a match...hot and fast. After cutting down the grasses, they get hauled to the burn spot. A couple of loads is all that it takes to create a big blaze. The plan is to use the grass to get the remainder of the pile on fire. It works too...kind of like the guy running the 100 yard dash handing the baton off to the 2 mile guy (note that English units were used because its cooler that saying 100 meters and 3000 meters).

The most recent burn was interesting...no wind. The little ashes that take flight and are carried up by the heat were coming back down on my head.

Little One sure enjoys the swing set. It did not take her very long to figure out that going up can be just as fun as going down.