Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Paul Bunyon Day


Saturday, being a nice, sunny day, was a day to get outside, and cut down some dead scrubbery in the yard. At first, I thought I could do this with a manual pruning saw, but after reaching in to cut limbs, getting poked with dead branches, and working up a good sweat on the first bush, I said "what the heck...time to go after something with more power!" It was time to add some fuel, add some oil, and crank up the Stihl.

There is nothing quite like feeling the power of the saw when you pull the trigger, the smell of the burning wood, and the sight of wood chips flying by your head. I am sure my friend John, in Alaska, who cuts a lot of wood, will agree!

In the picture above, there was on dead scrub to the left and 4 to the right of the brown, dead that I left standing. All came out with no problems. Sawed down and hauled away for future burning.

But for some reason, I noticed a bunch of dead ornimental grasses in this scrub. I thought that was odd. I stopped and began investigating and to my surprise, I found a bird nest with a single chick in it. The chick did not even have its eyes open.

Even I have a soft spot for animals, so I left this dead scrub standing. Hopefully, momma will stay on the nest and baby will soon fly away. Whatever happens, I tried to give this baby a chance.

As nice as Saturday was, Sunday was just as dreary.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I'm with you. Tried our darndest a few years ago to give some robin's eggs a good start. Think it worked out okay.

Mmmmm. Chainsaw. Especially when the chain is nice and sharp.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home