Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Visit to West Virginia

Where have I been? My priorities were shifted for a while so I was unable to update my blog.

Most recently, I have been to West Virginia to visit family. I noticed that West Virginia has a new state slogan. Instead of "Wild Wonderful West Virginia", it is now "West Virginia Open For Business". That makes no sense. Does this mean that in the past, WV was closed for business...did not seek business...did not care about business? Now that the state is officially open, just watch the business roll in.


The brown horse (Champ) use to live near us in Pembroke. Little One enjoyed feeding him carrots regularly. But now he is shacking up with a new woman (Beauty) and her colt (Country). This could be a Jerry Springer show...Beauty was pregnant when she moved here. Champ is not the daddy. Champ moved in with Beauty so she would not be a single mother.

As you can see, this is probably half of the flat land in West Virginia, every where else is mountains. Actually they are hills, according to the state song, "West Virginia Hills", which goes like this:

Oh, the West Virginia hills! How majestic and how grand,
With their summits bathed in glory, Like our Prince Immanuel's Land!
Is it any wonder then, That my heart with rapture thrills,
As I stand once more with loved ones On those West Virginia hills?

Chorus

Oh, the hills, beautiful hills, How I love those West Virginia hills!
If o'er sea o'er land I roam, Still I'll think of happy home,
And my friends among the West Virginia hills.

Real mountains are found in Denali (aka McKinley)!





While visiting WV, Little One made good use of the pool. Photos of the bass boat, extra large tv dish, cars on cider blocks in the front yard, out house, squirrel tails on the car antenna, and sleeping coon dogs were off limits. Besides, I would not want to do anything to propogate the West Virginia stereotype. I gotta run now. I need to put in a dip and check the still.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

You can put up a still up here . . .

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home