Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006



Why is seven degrees in Alaska colder than seven degrees anywhere else? Joel, Northern Exposure

I'll have to defer to John or Tundra PA for answer to Joel's question. My SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) is that it has something to do with humidity. Example, Phoenix is 120 degrees Farhenheit in the shade. But its not that bad because there is no humidity, its a dry heat.

One the way home from work the other night, I stopped to pick up a couple of $6 pizzas from Pizza Hut. They had an employee standing in the parking lot with a stack of pepperoni pizzas in one of those "keep em hot" bags. No need to even go into the store. As my breakfast partner would say, "Grrrrrreeeaaattt!"

The transaction was pretty simple...2 pizzas at $6 each...no tax to calculate...hand the guy a $20...and get back my change...one $5 and five $1s...Hmmmm, I say, looks like a good deal for me.

I confirmed that the price was $6 per pizza just to be sure. And it was. I counted my change and informed the guy that he owed me $8 not $10. I returned the extra $2.

In his defense, he said something along the lines of "I was confused. No one had given me that combination before..." I don't even know what that means. But now I worry about the future of the United States.

Kids today need a cash register or a calculator to determine the amount of change to give a customer. Gone are the days when the vendor would count your money as he put it in your hand. Plus, now the kids either put the bills in your hand and then place the coins on top, or they hand you your change in one big gob of paper and metal. Either way, I do not like it. I would rather have my coins first followed by the paper...like the old days.


4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Seven degrees is warmer here than anyplace I've lived. Light coat weather (really). I don't break out the parka until -20.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Pumps said...

John is right, I've walked 100yds
back and forth to a mail box in
Vermont at zero degrees in a tee
shirt...It is a "climateized
mental thing"..You are right on the
'money' with teen change making...
Today's education is a shame...

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
golf instruction Shaw oasis flaxen area rug Girls hairy bits Propecia generic asia http://www.heather-cox-fitness.info/Walker-county-ga-fitness.html Oe stationery christian http://www.small-business-credit-cards.info/Producerstationery.html pee puddle can hair loss be stopped Male erectile dysfunction teatments list Classic stationery papeteria stationery ta gify propiedades del bontril recover disk for gigabit palliser pluto svs http://www.stationery-1.info 2 way radio watches

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home