Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Mountains and Oscars

Giles county has a lot of mountains. One of the most dominate features in Giles county is Angel's Rest. Appalachian Trail goes across it. On story I heard about the name is that the mountain was so high and close to heaven, angels would rest there while coming and going in the area.

As seen from outside of town on Route 100, Pearisburg looks like it may be a bowl surrounded by mountains. Wal Mart is somewhere to the left in this photo.

The Oscars are tonight. Does anyone care? Certainly not me. The only Oscars I care about are Oscar Madison (The Odd Couple tv show), Oscar Robertson (famous basketball player), Oscar Mayer (hot dogs), and Oscar the Grouch (only because I see a lot of him).

One thing for sure, an Oscar win does not mean a movie is popular. In fact, a win usually means the movie was not popular. But instead it has some deep meaning that positively affects society norms. If I want to see something like this, I would watch CSI.

Instead, popular movies like Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies fail to win Oscars. Therefore, if I have a choice (and I do) of seeing an Oscar movie or a popular movie, popular wins every time. Afterall, I have more in common with the common people than I do with the bunch that votes for the Oscars.