Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Monday, May 22, 2006

The Boy Returns...


Classes are over, finals are done, and the boy has returned home from Virginia Tech for the summer. This is not a surprise. He left for VT in the fall, came home on breaks, and/or certain weekends to sweet talk his mother, aka Wifey, into doing his laundry. He would actually start, but never got finished. His attention span is as short as a Tom Cruise romantic fling. Now he is home for the summer.

My first impression was "Where did he get so much stuff?!" He has more stuff than I did after I got married! Nowadays, kids cannot sleep in old-fashioned bunk beds. Now they take lumber and construct lofts in their dorm rooms (see above). Now wonder Lowes and Home Depot are doing so well finanically. Also included in his stuff is a fridge, microwave, TV, lap top computer (better than my desk top computer), XBOX, and clothes. Lots of clothes. Seems like mounds of clothes. This mound would make the Moundbuilders of West Virginia feel ashamed. Doesn't anyone travel light anymore? Not only were there clothes brought home from school, there are still clothes in his closet and dresser.

I ask "Why does the boy not come home? Afterall, its not that far." Seems like he might like a home cooked meal. I remember that college food was not that good and I was always happy to get a home cooked meal from Momma. Well, the boy needs not home cooked meal because the food at VT is great. Just look at the awards...link.

Kids have got it made.

One the positive side, the boy will be working at a local pool and also some at VT.

Seeing all these comforts gives me the urge to go back to school because it would be like living on easy street.