Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Some times I just sit and think, and some times I just sit. Author Unknown, but could have been Al Bundy, Married With Children, or Homer Simpson.

The other night, after dinner supper, I had the opportunity to sit and think while enjoying my after dinner cup of Raven's Brew coffee. Actually it was unsweetened decaf iced tea, but that's just details. Quiet time at my house is minimal. It last about as long as Rosie O'Donnel can keep from talking. Little One had finished her mangle job on her food and was ready to get down and go into the living room so she could play, aka, cover the entire floor with toys. In order to complete her mission, she require energy, so she was also interested in doing her Cookie Monster impression, "ME WANT COOKIE!..."

This left me and the Wife some valuable "alone" time. I decided this was a perfect time to snuggle up to her and get romantic.

Me: Know what I'm gonna do when we move to Alaska?
Her: What? (This"what" was not an answer to my question but more a "what" that was universally understood to mean "what the heck are you talking about?")
Me: When I move to Alaska, you know what I'm gonna do?
Her: What? (This time an answer to my question)
Me: I'm gonna rent an apartment in the city, say Anchorage, and then buy a cabin with some land in the country.
Her: Why?
Me: This way, after working in the city all week, we can go to the cabin on weekends and enjoy solitude, quietness, wildlife, hiking, fishing, gun shooting, and wood cutting. John says wood cutting is a big thing in Alaska.
Her: Who's John?...Nevermind. Why not buy a house in the city and then buy a tent for your weekend excursions?

Note...some how this had went from a cabin where we all could stay to a tent for me to stay in...I'm OK with that.

Me: (Surprised that she no longer laughs at my Alaska dreams but has actually given some thought to this situation) I'm not ready for the cold weather. I need to ease into it like easing into a hot tub. Besides I'll need to buy some more stuff, cold weather, and a gun.
Her: OK... (loosing interest in the converstation)
Me: Maybe buy a small house in the city, a small cabin on some land, and a gun.
Her: Hmmmmmm (means we are done)

The End

I believe I am slowly buy surely wearing away at her defenses, like a beaver trying to down a giant Redwood tree. I can see signs of her weakening. Maybe this beaver needs to get a good chain saw!

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

One step closer, bro!

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home