Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Luck

Gloom, dispair, and agony on me
Deep dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, dispair, and agony on me...........Hee Haw

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work, the more I have of it.
Thomas Jefferson

Diligence is the mother of good luck. Bemjamin Franklin

Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya? Dirty Harry

Are some people lucky? Are some unlucky? Can you do things to have good luck like carry a rabbits foot, four-leave clover, or lucky stuffed animal? Are some clothes lucky? Are luck and being superstitious related?

I do not believe in luck. I believe in coincidence. Statistically, something may be a long shot, but not impossible. To paraphrase Ben and Tom, you create your own good luck.

This brings me to a show I sometimes watch...Deal or No Deal. You start with 26 cases containing 1 cent to 1 million dollars. A contestant selects one case that he hopes contains 1 million dollars. He then opens the remaining cases. Based on the amounts uncovered, a BANKER makes a money offer to the contestants for his case. Deal, and get $$$, No Deal, and keep opening cases. More big amounts left unopened means a bigger offer.

Everytime I watch this show, I find myself pulling for the Banker. I want to see the contestant get the shaft. I find most of the contestants unlikeable. Their greed will almost always show through. Either in body language, such as wringing their hands, or in their speech, "I need that million dollars!"

In pushing their luck, a lot of times a big offer is made, but they just cannot take the money because there happens to be a bigger amount available. Just got to get that big money. Then, they uncover the big amount, their offer plumments, and I just laugh. This is the Aesops fable of the dog with a bone, standing on the bridge, looking into the water, seeing himself, thinking its another dog with a bone, wants the second bone too, barks, and looses his bone. Greed does that to you. People cannot be happy with $250,000 if there is a chance that they may get $1,000,000.

I remember one show where the contestant was a female church pastor. Boy did this make me think. Was she coventing something (money) that was not hers? Was this gambling? If it was coventing or gambling would it be OK since she would presumeably tithe 10%? If she prayed for the million dollars and did not get it would it indicate she was ineffective as a pastor? If she did not get the million dollars would it be because she had bad intentions or bad motives? I did not have answers, but I had lots of questions.

I do not recall the outcome, I will see it on reruns I'm sure, if I am LUCKY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home