Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007



I have a pretty good drive to and from work, about 50 minutes, one way. And I can proudly say that in my drive, there is only one traffic light that I go through. Its usually called a "redlight" regardless of the color..."Go down to the red light and make a right to get to the creek."

This drive can be boring and quiet when I am between radio stations and I have no CDs. My most recent CD purchase is one by Van Zant. Its good southern country. The Van Zants brothers were part of the bands .38 Special and Lynard Skynard.

To help me in my time of need, the Wife got me a Sirius radio. I had my sights set on a "Hillbilly Kit"...squirrel tails for the antenna, shag carpet for the dashboard, and a gas pedal that looked like a big, bare foot. But the radio is much better. I was excited about getting it hooked up until I read the part about the antenna installation. The manual simply says " put the antenna where it can get a good reception and route it into the vehicle and to the radio." Sound easy, but I frown on putting a hole in the roof of my truck, so I had to snake it into the passenger door, behind door gaskets, and up to the radio, without it looking too hick.

After being satisfied with my results, I hooked it up, and fired it up. One call to Sirius and I'm ready to rock and roll. Contact...radio on...loud and clear!

This radio will serve to prevent arguments over Artist or Title , cause it tells you this info right on the radio. For a small piece of electrical equipment, this radio is more complicated than the 6 cylinder engine in my first car, 1977, Ford, Mustang II, Mach I, with a 4 speed manual transmission.

Best part...good channel choices and good reception.
Second best part...a little remote control.
Bad part...remote automatically equals channel surfing, just like the tv remote.

But that a "good" bad to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home