Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Congressional Manners

I read this editorial in the Roanoke Times and had to chuckle. They are against Line Item Veto because:

The constitution places taxing and spending decisions in the legislative branch, where careful consideration of priorities and negotiation between competing interests lead to compromise. A president who could revive surgically chosen parts of a bill for reconsideration would undermine that intent and the trust necessary for good-faith negotiations between lawmakers.

Two things strike me. One, my understanding of a veto is to take out items not revive them as is suggested. And two, does any one believe Congress uses careful consideration and negotiation to reach a compromise? My perception is that they use back room deals, threats, knock down drag out fights, back stabbing, bribs, scratch-my-back-and-I'll-scratch-yours, cheating, etc in order to get money for their district and could care not care less if the money is better spent in a different district. Its every man for himself with an eye cast toward the next election. Careful consideration my foot!

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

It's all about the green. No real incentive to save a dime for those guys anymore. When did we leave the five-year-olds in charge of the cookie jar?

12:35 AM  
Blogger Pumps said...

It seems the editorial writers
forgot the Constitution, in that,
#1 Balance of powers
#2 Presidential veto override
Pumps....

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Classics car seat covers prozac with provigil Purchsse imitrex Public tennis courts in tucson arizona imitrex lasik and

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home