Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Mountain Justice at VT

Living in southwest Virginia (and southern West Virginia), we are aware that coal is our friend. We should all we can to promote it as an energy source. Sure its a dangerous job. Yes its a dirty job. But for now, that is how we must get it out of the ground. Driving on the road is dangerous too. Coal put me through school. I appreciate all that coal miners do for us.

All this being said, I was surprised to see a sight called Mountain Justice at Virginia Tech. Part of their mission is

is to educate ourselves and our community on the effect the coal industry has on Appalachia and the world, particularly with regards to Mountain Top Removal;

and

and to stand in solidarity with those most directly affected by the coal industry.

I recoginze their right to gather and voice their opinion about mining and mountain top removal. But to do it in the heart of the coal fields seems anti productive. My guess is that the members are kids who grew up far away from Blacksburg, have not seen a piece of coal, have not seen a coal mine, do not know any miners, and are unaware of coal's importance to the two Virginias.

They are welcome to protest as much as they please, but I, for one, would like to hear some alternatives. Because, a good engineer never takes a problem to his superior unless he has at least one solution. Same goes for Mountain Justice at VT.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carl Kilo said...

Well said.
I can say this. Much of what was being mined when I was in school 25 years ago, is being developed for homes and business.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if all the concerned kids are standing in solidarity with the residents of all those abandoned coal towns in southern W.Va.? Seeing that they have mostly moved away to get jobs after the mines closed, it might be hard to do. Take a trip from Williamson up to Huntington on US 52, and you'll see the Land That Time Forgot.

9:17 AM  
Blogger John said...

I agree. Folks like those just like to stir up fear and envy. They don't have solutions, they have causes. And, then they start up programs and foundations to pay them to fight for the cause, because it's easier than being productive in society.

Not that I have an opinion . . .

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... http://www.cadillac-egr-valve.info/why_use_celexa.html aed cabinet Olanzapine fluoxetine pharma japan Leadership training video corporate training online learning weed celexa

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home