Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Out of touch inside the Beltway

I have began to shy away from political comments, especially on the national level. But this one was too good to remain silent on.

It seems a congresswoman from Georgia got into a scuffle with some Capital Hill police.

Members of Congress wear identifying lapel pins and routinely are waved into buildings without undergoing security checks. McKinney was not wearing her pin at the time, and the officer apparently did not recognize her, she has said.
This bothers me a bit. Congress people cannot take the time to go through security! It is part of that "Do what I say, not what I do" attitude.

Anyway, the police stopped her and she struck him.

So who is the victim? The congresswoman of course!

Her lawyer, James W. Myart Jr., said, "Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, like thousands of average Americans across this country, is, too, a victim of the excessive use of force by law enforcement officials because of how she looks and the color of her skin."
Give me a break. Excessive force! She only got a hand on the shoulder. This was not Rodney King treatment. Don't you think the police would stop everyone who by-passed the security check and then would not stop when ordered by the police? I sure hope they would!

Lastly,

"Ms. McKinney is just a victim of being in Congress while black," Myart said. "Congresswoman McKinney will be exonerated."
This is laughable. She is in one of the more elitist clubs in the world and she want me to see her as a victim? Not gonna happen.

She should thank that officer for stopping her and proving that the security works.

Congress people are really out of touch.