Al's Rantings

A view of the world from a hillbilly perspective.

Name:
Location: Virginia

I was born and went to school in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, in southern West Virginia. After graduating from college, I got married, and began working in Bristol, TN. I have have various jobs from Tennessee to up state New York and a few points between. Now I work in West Virginia. Some day, I want to live in Alaska.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Just Desserts


Mom did not go to college, but she was an expert in nutrition, metabolism, and psychology. I still carry most of what she taught me. Especially my craving for desserts after a supper.

Mom was a stay-at-home-mom. This meant that supper was home-cooked and regular. Plates were filled from the pots and pans on the stove. Occasionally, mainly for Sunday dinners, food was set on the table. But the majority of time, Mom did the food gettin'. This is where her knowledge became valuable.

Mom knew which combination of foods to cook for the daily nutrition of growing boys. Pork chops/apple sauce/corn, Buzz-buttered steaks/fried potatoes/rolls, spaghetti/salad/rolls, hot dogs/fries/cole slaw, brown bean/corn bread/fried squash, etc. Each was a great combination.

Mom also knew how much of each food a growing boy's stomach could hold. She prepared each plate. Sometimes, seconds were requested, but most times she got the amounts just right.

And for the times I did not feel like finishing my meal (very few times), she used the following psychological technique, "Clean your plate if you want dessert." Dessert? Of course I wanted dessert. It didn't matter what it was. I wanted it. However, even this technique failed to work on liver. Yuck...liver. Could not eat it then, will not touch it now.

Desserts could be store bought cookies, jello with marshmallow, homemake candy (rice crispy candy, corn flake candy, or preacher cookies), homemade pie or cake, etc. It was all good!

Today we joke about have an RC and a Moonpie. But my choice would be a Little Debbie and a Mountain Dew.

Thanks to Mom, I enjoy, maybe even crave, desserts after supper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home